Tuesday, April 9, 2013

freelancing

-->
Being self employed is hard. There is a lot of uncertainty about it, and the income is not stable. For example I was really excited about a big job that I completed a few weeks ago. I had a lot of fun working on it, but now it’ll take up to a month before I get paid for any of the work I even did. I could sure use the money now.

Looking for jobs is hard when you are self-employed. There are a lot of people who don’t want to pay a lot of money when you are an artist. They think that they can get the work done for free. They don’t take the work seriously. You wouldn’t ask a plumber to fix your toilet for free, so I don’t really understand why people think it is acceptable to do that to creatives. 

There are lots of sites for freelancers, which is great. The problem with those sites is that there are a lot of people from different countries who are willing to work for almost nothing. The people who put the jobs up will honestly take anyone who gives them the lowest bid. It doesn’t matter if their work is mediocre. They just want to save money any way that they can. Why do people sacrifice quality so that they can get things for cheap. It doesn’t make any sense for me. And then they complain about the low quality of work that comes from these places. You get what you pay for.

Sometimes I wonder if I should keep freelancing. It seems like this is a bad idea for me since I am not making enough money. At the same time, I don’t know what other kind of job I could do. I like working for myself, but is it even sustainable?

No comments:

Post a Comment